Retail roundup: the latest store openings in and around Charlotte
Local retailers and national chains continued to open or announce opening plans for Charlotte this fall.
Local purchase: While the two years have undoubtedly been difficult for most retailers, there has been an anecdotal change in the strong support for local operators during the pandemic.
- Three out of five (58% of) shoppers said at least one small business they frequent has closed, according to a new Wells Fargo survey.
- Almost three quarters (74%) of vacation buyers said they are willing to spend more to support a small business.
We still have has put together a handful of the latest retail news in the region. Some of this information might be particularly useful for anyone who has waited until the last minute to buy Christmas presents.
- Editor’s Note: I said in April that I planned to do one every month. I think I’ll say we’ll be using one “semi-regularly” from now on.
Harper & Skyler’s Toys and Candy, a specialty toy / candy store is now open at Park Road Mall. It’s in a 1,991 square foot location near Michaels. (CBJ)
Windsor Fashion, a fast fashion retailer opened at Carolina Place this fall. It’s on the lower level across from Express, the retailer said in a recent release.
Evolution aura, a black-owned luxury candle business, opened in SouthPark in October. The shop sells homemade and soy-based candles, according to a press release. It’s in the Belk / Dillard wing next to Francesca’s.
PGA TOUR Department Store opens its first North Carolina location this spring in Ballantyne. The 35,640 square foot store will sell golf, tennis and pickleball accessories, apparel and equipment. Its exact address is 5341 Ballantyne Commons Pkwy. (Axios Charlotte)
sleeping poet, the long-time beloved local antique store, is now open in its new location, approximately two miles from its original store. (Axios Charlotte)
Paradiso plant store open in October in the Optimist room. It’s in a 2,260 square foot space next to Mezeh.
Lowes Foods is opening a new 52,000 square foot grocery store in Christenbury Village in Concord in early 2023. This follows news from the grocer over the summer that he will also be opening a store in Huntersville with an entertainment area for parties and other events (Observer)
Moxie Mercantile’s a new boutique, Betty by Moxie, is now open in Plaza Midwood at 1219 Thomas Ave. (next to House of Africa). Betty specializes in children’s clothing, accessories and products.
Parachute house (a high-end home goods store) and Interior Define (a customizable furniture retailer) have signed up as new tenants at the South End Design Center. Both will face Camden Road and are expected to open early next year. (CBJ)
And the following retailers will be opening next year at Birkdale Village:
- Apricot Lane: The fashion franchise will open its third store in North Carolina in February. The boutique sells women’s clothing, jewelry, handbags, accessories and gifts.
- Girl’s supply: This is a concept launched in February by the founders of Girl Tribe Co. My colleague Bri Crane describes this new spot as “an immersive and instagrammable shopping experience. Expect convenient stations like a balloon bar and DIY candle making. A statement from Birkdale said this concept will also exclusively feature businesses owned by women.
- Lovesac: A technology-driven company that designs, manufactures and sells furniture such as sectional sofas, foam ottomans and home decor accessories. This will be its third location in North Carolina, and it will open in the spring.