The Cartwright family loses their home in a fire
CARTWRIGHT, Okla. (KXII) – A Cartwright family lost their home and almost everything they owned after an electrical fire broke out inside on Sunday morning.
“My daughter Paytin woke up and said ‘there’s a fire’ and I walked in and there’s flames coming up the wall,” said Elizabeth Bridges, who lived in the house in the 200 block of Sand Creek. Road, near Platter Dike Road.
The electric water heater plug got too hot and spread a fire through a wall and throughout the house, burning almost everything they owned.
“It was scary,” Bridges said. “You just think about your kids and your pets and getting everyone out. At least if you weren’t able to back up what was there, you could back up the important stuff.
The fire even burned one of their cats alive.
Bridges’ husband, a Bryan County Sheriff’s Deputy, lost his uniforms and all of his service weapons and she lost her father’s ashes.
“We had guns at home, my husband’s oldest kids had .22s since they were kids and when they moved they gave the kids the .22s and my eldest had just had .22s. a baby and we were going to give this little pink .22 to her daughter and it’s gone now,” Bridges said.
Bridges says their family is staying at the hotel courtesy of the Red Cross and the family is working on setting up an RV to live in for the time being.
She said strangers have already passed by with clothes and more for their children.
Her sister set up a GoFundMe and her daughter-in-law set up a CashApp donation.
“I try to make sure my kids understand that it was just stuff because we got it,” Bridges said.
Copyright 2022 KXII. All rights reserved.